Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The One About Shuffling

Shuffling.  I'm not talking cards here friends.  Plans.  As in I'm out again with a sick kid, this time Stella, and am once again shuffling plans.  There were several things I had to move from last week to this week only to miss out on them again.  Oh well, when parenthood calls you have to answer.

This week was already gearing up to be super busy before my unplanned absence.  To begin with it is a 4-day week, we have Friday off, followed by a 4-day weekend and another 4-day week next week with Monday off as well.  Both days are for training/professional development reasons.  So I was already trying to cram 5 days into 4.  Throw Chinese New Year, Lincoln's Birthday, Mardi Gras, and Valentine's Day into the mix and it was a recipe for disaster.  Not to mention the fact that we are still studying Groundhog Day.  Looking back, I don't know how I thought I would be able to include everything.  I mean, Lincoln can be pushed to next week with the rest of my Presidents Day stuff (sorry Abe).  But Chinese New Year?  Mardi Gras?  What about the books I was going to read?  The dragon we were going to make and dance around the room?  The masks we were going to make and wear as I threw beads to the kids?  Man, I had some fun learning planned. 

Oh well.  I'll be back in tomorrow so we will see what that brings.  Not much though.  I'll have to struggle to catch up on what I missed, add in Valentine's Day fun, a Pep Rally, and a party!  Yikes!  That just means that dragons and masks may have to be postponed until next week?  Or, gasp, put off for this year?  Yikes?  What would you do?  What do you do when this kind of thing happens in your classroom?  Postpone even though you've missed the best window of opportunity?  Put it off until next year altogether and call it a wash?  Hmmm.  I guess I'll just have to think it over.  

Speaking of these days, what do you do?  How do you celebrate?  I don't go all out like I do for other things.  It's more discussion-based and we read some books and have a fun craft.  More like a mini thematic study rather than an entire unit.  

So tomorrow is Valentine's Day!  We didn't go crazy this year.  With last week being so busy and my absence for 2 days we just didn't have a ton of time.  Plus on top of that the flu and a fever virus have been running through my classroom.  I've had so many kiddos out the past 2 weeks.  Some for a while and some here and there.  Makes it hard to do too much and at times I feel like I'm wading in make-up work.  One fun thing we did do on Monday was a cute Love Bug Glyph I made.  It worked out perfectly because we had some storms which meant, ugh, no recess.  Fear not!  I was ready to go with this fun little craftivity.  I love glyphs.  It's like the lovechild of a graph and a craft.  I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I made my own and the kiddos adored it!  You can find it at my TPT store here.  I'll have to get some pictures of the finished products and post them tomorrow.  They turned out great!  Tomorrow we'll probably make cards and hearts.  There won't be to much time for anything else with our busy schedule.  We didn't get around to decorating bags or anything for our valentines either.  Yikes!  I feel like a horrible teacher now.  But it has been crazy!

Well, speaking of valentines I should probably take advantage of Stella's nap and get mine done for the kiddos, Stella's as well.  The boys will be addressing theirs tonight and that is always fun!  Well, I hope your week has been a bit calmer than mine and you are finding time to include everything you'd like, be it curricular or fun enrichment!  

Thanks for hopping by!  :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment