Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The One About O - Olivia

Who doesn't love this vivacious pig?  I have been a huge Olivia fan since her first book and thoroughly enjoy reading them all.  As you can see from the labels, I also have a Book Buddy and she is one of the kiddos' favorites.

While each of the books in this series are wonderful, it's the original Olivia that I love the most.  Maybe it's the witty little piglet herself?  Maybe it's the inclusion of famous pieces of artwork?  Maybe it's the simple and beautiful illustrations by Ian Falconer?  Maybe it's the smart and funny writing Ian Falconer.  Eh, who am I kidding, it's all of those (you know I'm a sucker for author/illustrators).  

I find Olivia hilarious and often laugh out loud when reading them to the kids.  As seems to be the case with a lot of the books I'm sharing, I read these to my kiddos just for fun.  Just for pure enjoyment's sake.  After all, isn't that the ultimate goal we strive for when teaching children to read?  I think so.

Now that the series and character have been booming there are cartoons and other books based upon the cartoon.  These are decent, they're not bad.  But I'm an Olivia purist and tend to stick with Falconer's works.  The kids seem to be drawn to them as well, or is it just my suggestiveness?  Either way they're awesome reads that you should definitely have in your classroom library!

Which is your favorite Olivia book?  Why do you love Olivia so much?  What do your kids think?

Thanks for hopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I have a five and a three year old and we have not read ANY Oliva books yet, but we have seen them. You've made me very curious. Our next trip to the library or bookstore may have to include her. Thanks for the suggestion!

    New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to find them! I love them! Good luck, I hope you enjoy them! Thanks so much!

      Delete